Yields 10 Portions
2T Olive Oil
1ea Onion, minced
2T Brown sugar
.5c Red wine
1oz Dry basil (Double if using fresh)
5ea clove garlic, grated
1. Sweat onion, anchovy and sugar in oil until soft.
2. Deglaze with red wine, cook out all alcohol. The sharp, stinging aroma will dissipate.
3. Add tomato and simmer for 45 minutes stirring often to prevent burning.
4. Finish sauce with basil and grated garlic. Cook for another 15 minutes
5. Season sauce with salt and pepper to taste and serve. Can be stored for a week or frozen indefinitely.
If you enjoyed this recipe and want to see others like it, check out our other recipes here!