This angel hair recipe is hearty. It will stand up well in your favorite tomato sauce or pesto.
Yields 8 Portions
2C all purpose flour
2C whole wheat flour
Semolina flour for dusting
1. Mix flours well in a bowl and create a well. Crack eggs into well. Incorporate with a fork by first beating the eggs and then gradually incorporating flour from the inside of well working outwards. This dough will look dry but do not add water.
2. Turn out onto floured surface and knead until dough is uniform in texture, springy and slightly tacky. Allow to rest for 1 hour.
3. Roll to 1/4-1/8 of an inch in a square. Cut dough into 2×3 slabs. They should be just about the width of the pasta machine.
4. Starting on the 1 setting, slowly roll dough through machine. If it rolls out with waves or divots repeat this process. Repeat these steps until you reach setting 5. It is hard to get the dough thinner than this because of the coarseness of typical whole wheat flour.
5. Using the angel hair attachment slowly crank the dough sheets through. Immediately place noodles on a flour surface, semolina flour is preferred but any flour will do. These can be cooked as is, dried or frozen at your convenience.
6. If you don’t have access to a pasta machine you can hand roll the dough even further. Follow the above steps for rolling and cutting the sheets then proceed. You are looking for about 1/16 if an inch. This will take considerably longer. Once you have reached your desired thickness lightly flour the dough and gently roll it up across its entire length. Using a sharp knife as quickly slice the dough in 1/16 in strips across your roll. Cooking and storage remains the same. You can also use this dough for your favorite stuffed pasta recipes.
This is not real pasta, but a variation on a classic dough. These noodles will significantly more texture and flavor. If this is undesired you can change the recipe to 2 pounds of 00 flour (double O) or alternatively all purpose and 8 eggs.
If you enjoyed this recipe and want to see others like it, check out our other recipes here!