Yields 10 Portions
2oz Oil, vegetable
2# Shrimp shells
4oz Tomato paste
1Pt White wine
4ea Bay leaves
5ea Thyme sprigs
1T Peppercorns, black
1.5C Dark brown roux
3/4# Onion, minced
3/4# Green bell pepper, minced
3/4# Celery, minced
8ea Green onions, thinly sliced
2ea Bay leaves
.5t Ground allspice
.5t Ground mace
.5t Cayenne pepper
8ea Garlic cloves, minced
1G Shrimp stock , listed below
1C Tomato puree
1# Andouille sausage, sliced 1 inch thick
1# Okra, sliced ¼-inch slices
2# Tomatoes, unpeeled, medium dice
3T Chopped flat-leaf parsley
2T Chopped thyme
.25C Chopped basil
TT Salt and black pepper
1.5# Shrimp, shelled and deveined, cut into quarters
2# Alligator, medium dice
1T Tabasco sauce
1T Worcestershire sauce
3C Long-grain white basmati rice, cooked
1. Heat the oil until smoking, then add the shrimp shells. Cook the shrimp shells for 4 to 5 minutes; until they turn darker red.
2. Add the mirepoix and tomato paste and cook another 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Deglaze with the white wine and add 5 quarts of water.
4. Bring to a simmer and add the bay leaves, thyme, and peppercorns.
5. Simmer for 1 hour. Strain through a chinois pressing as much stock from the shells as possible.
1. Begin by putting the stock on the fire to begin reducing.
2. Cut the onion, bell pepper, celery, and green onion. Measure the allspice, mace, cayenne, paprika, and garlic. Heat the brown roux in a heavy bottomed stockpot. Add the vegetables and spices. Remove the pot from the heat. Stir frequently until the vegetables begin to soften, about 15 minutes.
3. Whisk in the stock, tomato puree, bay leaves, alligator and sausage. Simmer, partially covered, over low heat for 1 hour. Add the okra and tomato. Skim often.
4. 10 minutes before the end of the cooking time add the herbs and shrimp. Cook uncovered until the shrimp are just cooked through. Finish with the Tabasco and Worcestershire sauces. Season to taste with salt and peppers.
Cook the rice and hold separate.
5. Place a small spoonful of rice in a soup cup and ladle in the gumbo.
If you enjoyed this recipe and want to see others like it, check out our other recipes here!