Txipirones translated is baby squid in black ink sauce. (The “tx” is pronounced as “ch”.)
This is a classic basque dish. The squid bodies are stuffed and gently braised in a jet black sauce until succulent and tender. The result is absolutely amazing. Please feel free to ask any questions!
Yields 10 Portions
Stuffing and Txipirones
20ea Baby squid
4oz Serrano ham, minced
4oz Olive oil
4oz Spanish onions, minced
4oz Peppers green, minced
8oz Spanish onions, minced
8oz Green peppers, minced
3ea Garlic cloves, minced
1C Alsatian riesling or other white wine
4oz Tomato paste
4 Squid ink packs
Stuffing the Txipirones
1. Clean the squid, removing the tentacles.
2. Cut the tentacles in small pieces, and sauté on high heat with 2 oz. of olive oil.
3. Remove from the pan with the released juices.
4. Add the onions, peppers and garlic to the pan and cook slowly until caramelized.
5. Add the Serrano ham and cook for 2 minutes.
6. Mix in the reserved tentacles, the breadcrumbs and season with salt if needed.
1. Stuff the squids with this mixture, secure them with a toothpick.
2. Sear the stuff squid evenly, remove and reserve.
3. To the pan, add the onions, peppers, garlic, and sauté until caramelized.
4. Add the tomato purée and make a pincage.
5. Pour the wine and reduce by half.
6. Add the reserve juices from the sautéed tentacles of the filling.
7. Open the squid ink packages and rinse with water, add them to the sauce.
8. Purée in a blender until smooth, season if necessary.
1. Combine the squids with the sauce and simmer at very low heat for about 20 minutes.
2. Taste sauce and season. Taste squid, it should be tender and soft. Serve immediately.
If you enjoyed this recipe and want to see others like it, check out our other recipes here!